Monday, July 25, 2005

A Trip to the ER

This week-end didn't turn out like it was suppose to...that's for sure! We went to Utah because we were going to take the girl's to Lagoon, paid by Brent's firm. I was just going to relax at my sister's and not do a thing. We got there Friday night and I started getting hot flashes and then cold chills. I woke up about 2 am throwing up and couldn't stop. My temp went up to 102...which is a "no no" when you're on chemo so we called the on-call doctor. They told me to go to the ER because of the low white count thing. I was so sick I can hardly describe it. I was so weak I could barely get up the stairs to get to the car. My legs were almost totally numb. On the way to the hospital I did a lot of praying, I was so sick and uncomfortable. When we got there, the nurses were less than helpful, let alone compassionate! I was disheartened to be treated so poorly when I was so sick and vulnerable. What a helpless feeling. We stayed in the ER from 7:30 am to around 4 pm...that makes for a very long day. They gave me nausea medication and antibiotics because my blood count was so low. I was so uncomfortable and "knocked out" from all the drugs and throwing up. I was humiliated because I was wheeled around the hospital with the little robe on and just my bald head. I couldn't get my body to move and I felt utter frustration. I made a vow to my Heavenly Father that I would take better care of my body and get my health back. Mostly that means I will lose this weight and care for my body the way it deserves to be treated. I felt like an 80 year old woman. I can not continue to abuse my body and think it won't affect me because "I'm young". I put garbage into it daily and expect it to function well, let alone fight cancer!! I FINALLY GOT IT!! You get back what you put it! I saw and felt it first hand this week-end. I vow today things change! They admitted me overnight to watch for infection. I slept most of the time...I was so tired and wrung-out! Brent was amazing. He was right by my side helping me every inch of the way! He was attentive and caring. I am so blessed to have such a supportive and caring husband! My best friend April and Matt came to visit and Matt helped Brent administer...what a great comfort. My sister Leigh took the kids to Lagoon and my other sister took my youngest overnight. It was so helpful and comforting to know they were being taken care of and at least got to have some fun.

I got out of the hospital Sunday afternoon. I still felt pretty weak so I slept most of the day. By today thought I felt almost "normal". I even felt good enough to help my sister with an organization project. It still wasn't the week-end we had planned, but it was good to be able to spend some time with family!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States
I am a 36 year old woman, married to a great guy, and together we have three beautiful daughters. I am a three and a half year breast cancer survivor. This past year I have become active in the cause of helping those who are batteling cancer!