Monday, September 26, 2005

Fantastic News

I have great news! I went into the surgeon for consultation today and she couldn't feel any of the lumps either!! She feels like I will only need another LUMPECTOMY!!! Can you believe that! I am totally floored and grateful! I was expecting the worst and praying for the best! I guess prayer really does work...so does chemo!

Dr. Jones will for sure do a lymph node dissection of at least 10-12 lymph nodes and clear the margins from where the tumor was. They test the tissue while I am still in surgery for any cancer cells especially in the lymph nodes so they can tell if they need to take more. They will do extended testing of the tissue after surgery. If they find any cancer in that tissue they will have to go back in and take more breast tissue, which then may result in a mastectomy. However, at this point she doesn't feel like that is necessary. She has been doing this a long time and I feel like I am in good hands. I just can't believe it. It feels surreal. I almost don't dare get my hopes up. I know Brent said he is feeling the same way.

Part of me feels like I should just get the double mastectomy so I don't have to worry about it again. Then the other part feels totally excited that I don't have to have huge and invasive surgery at age 32 and go through all the reconstruction. I think a big part of not having to have a mastectomy is that I am large breasted to begin with. If I was smaller busted they would probably have to do a mastectomy because it would equal the same amount of tissue they are going to take out. But, since I am larger that much tissue doesn't hardly make a dent in these things :)

I really appreciate everyone’s concern and prayers! Obviously it is working! Dr. Jones said this surgery will be more painful than my first surgery, but not near what it would have been with a mastectomy. Recovery time will be a lot shorter. I still just can't believe it! Oh happy day!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I a so, so happy for you.

: )

You've made my day!

Anonymous said...

Dana

That is great news. We will keep praying for you. You've been brave and will make it through this. Sounds like Brent has been great with you and the kids.

Drew

Editor said...

Wow that´s a great blog that you have there, mine is slightly differnent but it basically covers the same topics.

I have a blood cancer site. It pretty much covers Cancer related stuff.

Check it out, you won´t regret it... Cheers.. Roger From Http://www.havecancer.com

About Me

My photo
Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States
I am a 36 year old woman, married to a great guy, and together we have three beautiful daughters. I am a three and a half year breast cancer survivor. This past year I have become active in the cause of helping those who are batteling cancer!