Thursday, September 08, 2005

Last Chemo Treatment!!

Just a quick post! My last treatment...hopefully forever (knock on wood)!!! I can't believe it! I was diagnosed with BC on my 4 year old's last day of preschool and today is my last treatment and her first day of school! Kind of funny!

I am in good spirits today. I have all the things I needed to get done...done! I try to get things together, plan meals, clean the house (with Brent's help) and make sure things are in semi-order knowing I will be down for a good week. It feels a little weird knowing this is the last time I go in! I have received a lot of well wishes from all of you! THANK YOU! It means the world to know I have the support of good people! I couldn't have done it with out you!!!

My sister Ann sent me a package yesterday to celebrate my last treatment! It was so wonderful! I started bawling, but with tears of joy! It hit me that it's almost over! Thank you Ann! Ann has sent me a card every week all summer! They have lifted my spirts immensely!

I will probably schedule surgery today. I talked with a woman yesterday who is a BC survivor. She is out 11 years!! She had Dr. Judy Jones do her mastectomy and she also works at the Recovery Center. Her comment to me was that Dr. Jones is the best. I felt reassured that I am with the right surgeon. I have almost decided to do a full mastectomy depending on if the left one has to go. I don't want to waste my life worrying if it will come back on the other side. I know myself and that is what I would do! I want to carefully consult with both Dr. Christian Shull (my oncologist) and Dr. Jones, and then make a final decision.

My next big thing is to lose this ghastly fat I have accumulated the past 6 years. If I can beat breast cancer...surely I can lose 60 pounds! In fact, I am committing myself to everyone who reads this that I will do it by May! My dear friend Becca has recently lost 25 lbs and started running again. She is running the Susan G. Kommen Race for a Cure in SLC, UT this coming May for me! Isn't that amazing! She has inspired me to do the same and get my behind in the race as well. I may only be able to walk it...but by darn...I will be there! Thanks Becca for your example! You know, Cancer has really sorted out the people in my life who I know truly care...and you are one of them. Thankfully, I am blessed with incredible people in my life!

So much for a quick post huh? Oh well... :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! Now it's time to party! =] Congrats on your last treatment and try not to worry too much about surgery, I have gone through 4 surgeries due to my cancer. I stressed out about them until I realized that my doctors were there to help me and were going to do everything they could to help me AND keep me safe. I just had to trust them. Just try to exhale, girl. =]

Dana said...

Thanks for the feedback! I had a good talk with my oncologist today about the surgeries and got a lot of great feedback. I have an excellent surgeon that I feel good about! So here goes the exhale :)

How are you doing? Where are you in treatment? I have appreciated your comments! You are a trooper that's for sure!

Anonymous said...

I have finished all of my radiology and chemotharapy. Now i'll go in for some testing to make sure it is gone, if not then i'll be back in the hospital for another surgery. lolol

My testing begins November 1st, they wanted to give my body time to recover from all the crap they have been putting it through before they started testing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

When is your surgery??

Dana said...

I haven't scheduled it yet. My oncologist will schedule it after my two week check up. I had my last treatment Thursday, so I will probably be going for surgery in three weeks. They said I have to wait three weeks to let my body heal. I am nervous. My lumpectomy was uneventful...hopefully this surgery will be too!

Anonymous said...

The surgery will go prefectly. :) At least you get a 3 week vacation! lolol

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I just found your post. I have the same situation...3 young children and I'm 32. I just finished my last chemo the day before yesterday. I still have radiation to go but that seems like it will be a breeze compared to chemo. I have triple negative breast cancer, no lymph nodes involved. How are you doing six years later? Just wondering!

About Me

My photo
Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States
I am a 36 year old woman, married to a great guy, and together we have three beautiful daughters. I am a three and a half year breast cancer survivor. This past year I have become active in the cause of helping those who are batteling cancer!