Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Good Old P.M.S.

Alright, I have posted a lot of personal, not so easy to write about things...but how does one write about getting back her period? So, here it goes...I'm NOT in menopause!! All this time we thought I was going into menopause...hot flashes, extreme mood swings, no period. But, as luck would have it...I'm back in business!! The crankiness was just good old P.M.S.!!! P.M.S...Can you believe that! The hot flashes have cooled down quit a bit the past couple of weeks. My doctor thinks they might have been solely from the chemo and pain medication.

I just talked to my doctor last week about menopause and what medications I would have to take after radiation. The kind of medications I would be prescribed would be solely based on if I were menopausal or not! Statistically, chemotherapy puts many women at my age into pre-menopause and does it fairly quick. I thought for sure I was menopausal and would have to worry about heart disease and osteoporosis in the near future. It's bad enough all my hair is coming in GRAY!

I have also had a hard time with the fact I wouldn't be able to have more children. We have always planned on having one more. Who knows...I still may not be able to have more babies due to the drugs I will be required to take for the next five years. But, there is hope! I was just reading about Tamoxifen a drug for breast cancer patients that is an anti-estrogin agent. It doesn't sound too pleasant! It can cause weight gain and uterine cancer. My doctor said if I did get uterine cancer (which they would watch closely for) I would have to have a hysterectomy anyways. Right now I am rolling my eyes and shaking my head...

This all sounds pretty negative, but truly I am in very good spirits these days! I am feeling much better and getting more and more energy back every day. I can even move my arm and it is hurting a lot less! I have my first appointment with the Radiation Oncologist next Monday, so, I am going to fully enjoy my week!!

Tomorrow I am going with my doctor's wife Carrie to Salt Lake City to get more stuff for a tree we are putting together for the Festival of Trees. His office is sponsoring it. It will be nice to have a girl's day out...a two and a half hour drive with no kids! My sister Leigh lives there and is a fantastic decorator. She is going to help us pull it all together. It feels good to have things going on again in my life other than just being sick. It feels good to have some projects and stuff to look forward to.

I have been putting my kids costumes together. Addie is going to be Cinderella and Paige was going to be a butterfly princess...but the dress I ordered is WAY too big. So back to the drawing board. Anyway, life is good...miracles happen! Plus, I have lost 3.5 pounds last week on Weight Watchers!!

3 comments:

Minerva said...

Better put on that comment validation thing Dana...and keep this anonymous person away...*grin*

So glad you are feeling normal..It means so much, doesn't it?

Minerva

Anonymous said...

Congrats on eberything. It's always great to do "normal" things again. :)

Also, woo hoo on the weight loss. You go girl! I could never do it. lolol

Anonymous said...

I have found great tips from pms suffering!

About Me

My photo
Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States
I am a 36 year old woman, married to a great guy, and together we have three beautiful daughters. I am a three and a half year breast cancer survivor. This past year I have become active in the cause of helping those who are batteling cancer!