Saturday, October 01, 2005

Good News? Bad News? That is the Question...

This will most likely be a very short post since I am high on painkillers and not typing very well. So please pardon me if this don’t make any sense! I had surgery yesterday. Dr. Jones took out the margin around where my old tumor was. She also found another suspicious lump and took that as well including the margins. They ended up taking out 15 lymph nodes instead of the 10-12 she had planned on. She said the first 4 nodes were very dark in color and were hard and enlarged. Not a good sign.

They will test all the tissue taken and I will get results in 4-5 days. If the tissue from the margins come back positive for cancer they will most likely have to go back in next week and do a full mastectomy. They took almost half of my breast off this time and I am in so much pain. I wasn't expecting it to be this bad. I had to stay in overnight because we couldn't get my pain under control. I have about a 4-5 inch incision running from my nipple up to my armpit. And another incision that is about 3 inches long running under my armpit where they took out the nodes. The whole breast (or what's left I should say) is so incredibly tender...I can tell she did a lot of prodding around.

I have a feeling they will have to go back in. In a strange way it would be a relief to just have it removed so I don't have to worry...but of course if they don't that would be the ultimate!! I just want this all done and over with. It has been so nice to have my Mom here. Brent stayed with me last night at the recovery center. I hope I can get comfortable tonight and get some rest. I can never get sleep when I'm in the hospital!

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers...really it makes such a difference and is so comforting! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will keep you posted about test results...good night!

1 comment:

Lori Miller said...

Dearest Dana,
so so so sorry, your post made perfect sense. I wish I could be there to give you a big hug. I wish I could say I totally understand what your going thru, but I don't because we both have different types of cancers. I have been thinking about you all week... especially Friday,Saturday and Sunday. I believe I dreamed about you last night but I can't rememder much about it... no worries it wasn't a bad dream, I guess I am just trying to say there is someone thinking about you right now and praying for your strength and a lifetime of relief ASAP!

Love,

Lori

About Me

My photo
Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States
I am a 36 year old woman, married to a great guy, and together we have three beautiful daughters. I am a three and a half year breast cancer survivor. This past year I have become active in the cause of helping those who are batteling cancer!